Cupcake recipe based on this Food Network recipe; frosting recipe is “Fit This In” host Jen Rehill’s own.
2½ cups cake flour
3 TSP baking powder
1 TSP salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup canola vegetable oil
2 TSP vanilla extract
4 packets Aiya Matcha To Go green tea (reserve a pinch for dusting on top of frosting)
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
2 oz cream cheese, softened
2½ cups confectioners sugar
2 TSP vanilla
1-2 TSP Coffee-mate Natural Bliss vanilla creamer
Extra matcha for dusting
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the sugar, and mix until well blended.
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix the liquid ingredients (milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla) at medium speed for 2 minutes, until light and frothy. Switch to paddle attachment, and add the dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the matcha powder, and beat again for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling just two-thirds of the way. Bake cupcakes for 12-14 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to completely cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Add butter, cream cheese and vanilla into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix for 1-2 minutes on medium speed until well blended. Add sugar a little at a time, and mix at low speed until well incorporated.
- Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add creamer a little at a time, mixing another 1-2 minutes until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Fit pastry bag with a large round (or similar) decorating tip, and pipe on frosting. Sprinkle an extra pinch of matcha over the frosting on each cupcake.
Listen to the "Fit This In" crew taste test these cupcakes in the episode: Matcha-Do About Nothing.